It’s officially summer. Well, maybe not on the calendar for another few weeks, but as we kick off the Memorial Day weekend, the summer attitude has descended.
I am not a beer drinker, although I wish I were. And ginger beer, just like root beer, is simply a soda. I adore summer cocktails but I don’t like all the calories that come from some of my favorites. This Ginger Beer Mojito hits the spot for just 125 calories!
For 3 Ginger Beer Mojitos:
- 30 mint leaves (or more, or less … you decide, but I find 10-15 per drink is perfect)
- 4.5 ounces silver rum
- 12 ounces ginger beer (photo shows Reed’s Extra Ginger, but I prefer The Ginger People Ginger Beer. For store locations, click here.)
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (approx the juice of 3 juicy limes, hand squeezed)
- Ice cubes
- Extra ginger if you prefer
- Muddle together mint with the lime juice (for non-purists, you can use a quick tap on the blender if you don’t have have a mortar and pestle or muddler. But, it’s not quite as good.)
- Once fully muddled, divide the mint-lime mixture between three glasses.
- Add ice cubes and then pour 1.5 ounces of rum into each glass.
- Add 4 ounces of ginger beer into each glass (that’s one full bottle of a 12 oz. ginger beer, divided into 3 parts)
- If you would like to add more ginger, like I do, my short cut is a squeeze of Gourmet Gardens pureed ginger; stir to blend.
- Garnish with an extra slice of lime and some more mint.
- Cheers to summer!